Here's a brief summary of a few real estate reports that were released this week.
CMHC Housing Now - New Home Market
- Housing starts are off 45 per cent from the same period last year and are at their lowest level in over 10 years.
- Across the GTA, activity in the Peel and York Regions has held up the best so far this year, registering below-average declines.
- It appears that a bottom has formed for housing starts in the GTA
House Price Index for July - by Teranet and National Bank
- Canadian home prices in July were down 5.1% from a year earlier
- It was also the first time in 13 months that prices in every region covered by the index were up from the month before
- For the composite index it was a third consecutive monthly rise
- The July monthly rises were 2.6% in Ottawa, 2.2% in Toronto, 1.5% in Vancouver, 0.8% in Halifax, 0.7% in Montreal and 1.0% in Calgary
Browse the House Price Index data for July.
S&P Case Shiller Index - US Real estate
- Home values in 20 U.S. cities climbed in July by the most in almost four years
- The S&P/Case-Shiller home-price index rose 1.2 percent in July from the prior month, the biggest gain since October 2005
- From a year earlier, the S&P/Case Shiller index was down 13.3 percent, less than economists anticipated and the smallest decrease in 17 months
September 30, 2009Market |